Applications for PhD 2020 open
1) Contribute to the training of researchers in astrophysics, one of the areas of science where Chile has the capacity to become a world leader.
2) To consolidate a group of academics with high scientific productivity, outstanding students and postdoctoral researchers, that enhance the impact of the research carried out by the UDP Astronomy Nucleus in the areas of Astrophysics of Planetary Systems, Stellar and Galactic Astrophysics, and Extragalactic Astrophysics, and his contribution as an internationally relevant actor within the discipline.
The program is aimed at applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in astronomy or related sciences (physics, planetary sciences, etc.). It is expected that the candidates have excellent qualifications in their previous careers, some experience in research projects and a very high level of motivation for research in astronomy. Applicants must also handle the English language (reading comprehension is essential and highly desirable oral and written expression) and be able to devote full time to the doctoral program.
1) Cover letter explaining their motivation for entering the PhD and their research interests.
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Certificate of undergraduate and graduate degrees (if applicable)
4) Certificate of degree or letter from the university specifying the expected date of obtaining degree
5) A minimum of two and a maximum of three letters of recommendation
The Doctors in Astrophysics from UDP will be able to develop original and independent research, contributing to the advancement of the discipline by publishing its results in journals and specialized conferences. They will have a solid formation in physical processes and its manifestation in astronomical phenomena, and the capacity of learning new tools -such as observation techniques, data management, analysis methods, numerical simulations-that will allow them to stay at the cutting-edge of their expertise, be it astrophysics of planetary systems, stellar and galactic astrophysics or extragalactic astrophysics.At the same time, the students will have developed critical thinking skills and capacities to work collaboratively, enabling them to insert themselves in international research networks and grow in demanding and competitive academic and professional contexts. Thus, doctoral graduates in UDP astrophysics will be able to work in purely academic environments, such as universities, or more technical, such as astronomical observatories
Scholarships include stipend, health insurance, tuitions and fees. Research funds are also available from a number of different sources.
HOW TO APPLY:
The 2020 application process will start on August 15 with deadline on October 15th 2019.
All application materials (including letters of recommendation) should be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.